Maestro Brotons Receives Lifetime Achievement Award From Clark County Arts CommissionSeptember 28, 2020
Nine finalists for the 27th Young Artist Concerto Competition have been selected!
These talented students were chosen from submissions nationwide for their remarkable musical ability and professionalism.
2021 Young Artist Competition Finalists
- Alyssa Gabrilovich, Piano; Harriton High School, Villanova, PA
- Dora-Ziyan Chen, Piano; Redmond High School, Redmond, WA
- David Choi, Piano; Stanford Online High School, Los Angeles, CA
- Adrian Hsieh, Cello; Corvallis High School, Corvallis, OR
- Ezekiel Sokoloff, Violin; Homeschooled, Salt Lake City, UT
- Jonathan Okseniuk, Violin; Arete Preparatory Academy, Mesa, AZ
BRASS / WOODWINDS
- Nikka Gershman-Pepper, Flute; Colburn Music Academy, Los Angeles, CA
- Spencer Cox, Alto Saxophone; Michigan State University, Lakeland, TN
- Erica Wang, Flute; Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA
Congratulations to these remarkable young musicians, and thank you to every student who submitted.
SAVE THE DATE
The final round of the live competition will take place on:
October 17, 2021
1 PM PDT
First Presbyterian Church
4300 Main St., Vancouver WA. 98663
* This event is free and open to the public
These finalist performances will be also live streamed simultaneously on this Vancouver Symphony Orchestra website.
Continuing the exciting competition format of past years, nine of the nation’s finest young musicians chosen from over 100 applicants will compete in three categories: piano, strings and winds/brass. Gold Medal winners in each category will receive the opportunity to perform with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Maestro Salvador Brotons on January 22nd and 23rd at Skyview Concert Hall. All finalists will receive generous cash prizes. Gold Medalists will be awarded $5,000 each; Silver Medalists, $2,000 each; Bronze Medalists, $1,000 each.
The final round will be judged by an extraordinary panel of renowned performers and educators.
Maestro Salvador Brotons
VSO Music Director and Conductor, professor of composition and orchestra conducting at Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya (ESMUC).
GRAMMY Award winning cello virtuoso, Artistic Director of several major music festivals in the US including Sitka Summer Music Festival, and a professor of Cello at UT El Paso.
Dr. Igal Kesselman
Internationally renowned piano educator, Director of Lucy Moses School in NYC, Music Director of Special Music School and Artistic Director of Kaufman Music Center International Piano Competition.
Solo English Horn at the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, faculty member of The Juilliard School, as well as Artist-in-Residence at SUNY Stony Brook University.
Dr. Stephen Shepherd
VSO Associate Concertmaster, Portland Columbia Symphony Associate Concertmaster, former musician with Westmoreland, Wheeling, and Cedar Rapids symphonies and Vice Principal of Portland’s Roosevelt High School.